donderdag 3 mei 2018

Irish-Moroccan or Moroccan-Irish?

The flight from Dublin to Agadir with Air Arabia was supposed to leave at 10.35 PM. Checking in started three hours before departure. I had arrived at 17.30hours in Dublin with a lot of luggage as I would fly from Agadir to Amsterdam and was going to spend at least 2 months there. That meant I had to cart a lot of medical stuff around. Sightseeing in Dublin was no option. Instead I dragged my heels, looked around a lot and made three detailed sketches to pass the time. The crowd that was going to Agadir was an interesting lot. I never knew there were Moroccans in Ireland. Moroccans certainly hadn't been hired away from the villages to do the dirty work like in the Netherlands. Traditionally people left from Ireland to find work someplace else. Who were those Moroccans on the flight with me? Turned out most were Moroccan men married to Irish women and their families. Around me I heard Moroccans speak English with strong Irish accents. This was cute. It was a few days after Saint Patrick's Day and a week before Easter. Were the mixed families going back to Morocco after visiting Irish family for Saint Paddy's or were they going to Morocco to visit Moroccan family for Easter hols? For most of the flight I slept. Funny: every time I go through passport controle coming into Morocco a Moroccan in front of me is getting into a fight of words with an official. Of course I can't understand what they are saying, but it is always very emotional: the return of the immigrant to the mother country. Never easy.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten